Best Water Purifiers
Am I drinking safe water? We never bother about the quality of the water that we drink until we are down with an illness. When on the move we end up buying packaged drinking water assuming it as the safest pick. How about drinking water at home? It has become common among the urban dwellers to settle down for what is known as the RO water bottles in unattractive and shabby looking cans. These cans once empty go back to the supplier for a refill. But how confident are you about the quality of such water? This would have prompted you to consider a water filter at home. We will help you in understanding the various types of filters, their applicability and how to choose the best based on your requirement. We will also post the review of the top rated water filter available in India at this point in time
Before we get into the details of the filter and the technology they use, let’s under common issues in drinking water.
Total Dissolved Solids- Pure water is tasteless, clear and free from odor. Having said that, water is also an excellent solvent and easily dissolves a host of salts and mineral.TDS is one the common visible impurity in drinking water. TDS in drinking water can be naturally occurring based on the source and can also be added up while treating or transporting.TDS is measured in ppm( parts per million). TDS of 300 ppm or below is considered as excellent for consumption. As the number goes up you will start observing the addition an undesirable taste. However, this is not the sole criteria for determining the quality of potable water. On an average, the TDS of water from a bore well stands somewhere between 1000-2000, which is considered as high for human consumption. You would have observed scale formation in utensils storing borewell water.
Even if the water is low on TDS you may still find an unpleasing odour from water which makes it distasteful. A classical example is water from an open well. Wells and ponds are living ecosystem themselves. Bacterial and fungal growth gives the water from ponds and wells its characteristic smell. Chlorine is another factor that adds odour to drinking water. A common form disinfectant added to drinking water.
Drinking water is best served tasteless but there at times when the water has a characteristic taste and this due to the dissolved salt and impurities in it.
Metallic taste– There are high chances that the water picks up debris from an aging pipe or the storage tank. A high content of zinc can also be one the common reason.
Chemical or medical taste– It’s a common problem if your drinking water goes through a treatment plant mainly using chlorine as a disinfectant. Chlorine in moderation is an approved disinfectant but a higher dose can be a cause for concern.
Soil/fishy smell– If you are using pond water as your primary source the smell of the soil is an innate characteristic. Even though it may not be harmful it does add an unpleasing odor to water.
Modern-day filters come with a host of features to address every issue that is encounter in water purification. The mechanism used in each filter caters to a specific issue based on the source of water. We have listed out 3 best water filter that suits most of the Indian
1.Tata Swach Non-Electric Cristella Plus 18-Litre Gravity Based Water Purifier
Let’s assume that you are blessed with drinking water free from odour and colour and the only problem that is bothering is you the TDS. Well, in this case, a gravity-based water filter is your best pick. As these filters use no electricity, it is also called as an offline filter. A gravity filter has a porous filter which physically stops impurity of a size larger than the membrane from passing through. These filters have its limitation when it comes to removing the hardness and dissolved minerals from the water. However, a good gravity water filter can remove bacteria and foul smell from the water. We zeroed down on Tata Swach Non-Electric Cristella Plus 18-Litre Gravity Based Water Purifier after our extensive research.
As mentioned, these filter works purely on gravity and do not call for running water or electricity. The storage tank can accommodate up to 18 liters of water (including both chambers) which is the average daily consumption of mid-size family. Assembling the unit is very simple. The storage tank is made of food grade plastic. The rated capacity of the filtration bulb is 3000L, you can expect around 2500-2800L based on the hardness of the water.
- Very simple to assemble, comes with a self-explanatory note.
- The plastic used was decent at the price at which it retails.
- Easily replaceable filtration bulb which is available online as well as on company’s website.
- Food grade plastic, easy to disassemble and clean
- Filter change indicator.
- Does a good job of removing odor and sediments.
What could be improved?
- The rate of filtration gets slow with few months’ usages.
- Has a characteristic odor for the first few liters of water.
- Issues of leakage when the lower chamber is full (not a perfect fit)
2 HUL Pureit 5 Ltrs Classic RO + UV 6 stage water Purifier
Borewell as a primary source of water generally has one big issue, and that’s TDS. With no reliable supply from the municipality, most of the apartment ends up drilling up for water. The average TDS of bore well water lies between 1000-2000ppm. the water is generally turbid and tastes salty. Boiling and gravity filters seldom have an effect on such water. RO is the best solution in such cases. Club it with UV and you have best of both world. While the RO makes sure that you get water free from heavy metals and salts, UV ensures that doesn’t pass any microorganism to the final filtered water. We have picked HUL Pureit 5 Ltrs Classic RO + UV 6 stage water Purifier under this category
The first thing that draws your attention is the uninspiring and boxy design of the filter unit. Yes, they could have a better job here. But as the look is not the primary purpose, let’s talk about things that impress. The entire body is made of high-quality ABS plastic which includes the storage tank as well. ABS is deemed as safe for storage of water and is on part with food grade plastic. The capacity of the unit is 5L.It takes almost half an hour to produce 5 liters of filtered water. Summarizing the pros and cons below.
- First thing first, you can really feel the difference in filtered water.iit is no less than branded package water. The filtered water is clean, free of odor and sweet.
- Once installed, the unit pretty much takes care of your drinking water requirement for the next 6 months.(The pre-sediment filter needs to be changed every 6 months)
- As the filter is connected to a running water connection, the units pull in water for processing as and when it is consumed.
- Brings down to TDS to the range of 40~50 ppm, which is well within the limit for potable water as per WHO standards.
- Protection against voltage fluctuation up to 300V
What could be improved
- The tap needs a little fine-tuning. The tap connected to the storage tank causes a turbulent flow, make sure that you aim your bottle right under the tap.
- The unit is little noisy when in operation.
- A water level indicator would have added to the user experience.
- A bigger storage tank
Note: It’s a natural phenomenon in reverse osmosis to drain water which could not pass through the RO membrane. Do account for the water drain when opting for an RO filter.
3.Kent Ace Mineral 7-Litre 60-Watt RO+UV+UF Water Purifier
As the filter gets complex it also becomes mandatory to understand if the unit is working the way it was expected. Always sending out the sample for a test is not a viable option too. This is one area where Kent Ace Mineral 7-Litre 60-Watt RO+UV+UF Water Purifier has an edge over other filters available. To start with it has the feature that modern water filter is expected to have. A perfect mix of UV+RO+Ultra filtration.Summarizing the pros and cons
- A complete package of all the filtration technology available for domestic use.
- Stands out from the crowd by sporting an alarm for filter change and UV bulb fail.
- A decent storage capacity of 7L without making the unit bulky.
- Very silent operation compared to the product of the same segment.
What could be Improved
- The servicing could get a little expensive
- A missing stainless steel tank at this price bracket.