LED Buying Guide
Did you know that the light you use also has an effect on your mood and productivity? When we say a well-lit room, all that comes to our mind is the intensity of light. The brighter the light the better it gets. Choosing the right light can either set or break your mood. For we Indians, lighting meant nothing more than a traditional tube light blinding you. But the trend is set to change with energy efficient LEDs getting cheaper every day.
We have listed out 5 points that need to be considered before shortlisting LEDs for home lighting.
An obvious factor which is crucial for your selection. Talking about LEDs for home lighting, the power varies from 0.5W to 22W. To have a comparison, your traditional tube light consumes power in the range of 28-45W.
Simply put, it is the total light produced by a bulb/lamp. A higher lumen indicates a brighter lamp and vice-versa.
This is one factor that most of us are ignorant about. Home lighting need not be just a bunch of fluorescent tubes. You can play around with the color temperature to create a lingering effect in your living room. As a thumb rule, a warm light is preferred in areas which are not meant to be productive. For eg, your living room and the bedroom can sport a warm light and appear more welcoming and relaxed.
However areas like the kitchen and your reading table where you need more attention to the work, it is advisable to use a cool daylight. Observe the fine print on the lamp next time to find out the color temperature.
2700K-3000K is considered as warm light
3500K-4100K is Cool light
5000K-6500K is Daylight
Lumen per Watt
This is for the geeks. Companies have a multitude of adjectives to market their product and to justify how it is advanced to other peers. Use this simple ratio to pick the most energy efficient light. Typically a CFL gives you an output of 75lm/W. That means a 15W CFL is supposed to give you an output of 1125W.However, a LED with high efficiency can give you output up to 200lm/W but is seldom used for home lighting as this efficient bulbs can cost you a fortune. Look for lamps with an output of 100lm/W
A good quality LED bulb should give a life of 15000-20000 hours. Read through the specifications for the claimed life of the bulb.
Philips Stellar Bright 20-Watt Round LED Bulb (Pack of 2, Cool Day Light)
A common complaint among LED user is about how harsh the light can get. This, in fact, is true to certain extent. People refrain from using LED as they claim it strains their eyes with prolonged exposure. The Philips stellar bright range beats all its competitors when it comes to reading comfort. We tested the light for activities like reading, cooking and even in the living room. There wasn’t even the slightest of discomfort observed. Summing up the experience.
What we liked.
- Noticeable flickering
- Very comfortable and gentle on eyes.
- High lm/W
- Low flicker rate and SVM of 1.3
- Robust build with a heat sink. (Minimum heat)
What could be improved
- Not the one if you are planning to use a dimmer switch
Philips LED Cap Desk Light 4.5watt(Black)
As mentioned in our LED guide, it is advisable to pick a cool light lamp for activity which involves concentration and attention. We could not find a better-LED desk light than the Philips LED Cap Desk Light. One common issue with a regular study lamp is thermal emission. You start feeling the heat in the area that is lit up. We have ensured to select the best-LED desk lamp so that you don’t come across this issue. We played around with lamp for almost 3 days using it in various ambient lighting conditions. Here is the summary.
What we like
- Elegant design. The moment we unpacked the box, we were in love with the design
- The gooseneck is sturdy at the same time flexible enough.
- Optimum illumination for reading with no noticeable flickering.
- High CRI of 85 ensures better color realization.
- Very low power consumption.
What could be improved
- The length of the power cord was hardly 2 feet.
- The bulb provided is not replaceable
- The unit is a dust magnet; make sure you wipe it often to keep it elegant.
Wipro High Lumen 22-Watt LED Batten Light (Cool Day Light)
Fluorescent lights especially the conventional tube lights are very sensitive to voltage fluctuation. You would have observed the flickering in a regular tube light when the voltage drops. If you happen to reside in an area with frequent voltage fluctuation then LED battens are here for your rescue. These are made with a sole purpose of replacing the conventional tube light. Keep in mind that a LED batten is a standalone fixture with plug and play and does not fit in your tube light fixture. We experimented with a wide range of LED batten available in the market and narrowed down to Wipro High Lumen 22-Watt LED Batten.
What we liked
- 2400 lumen with 22 W, which is good a good lm/W rating
- We simulated condition like low and fluctuating voltage and noticed no variation in the light output.
- Diffuser did a good job of evenly spreading the light across the room.
- Comes with all the accessories for fitment so that you don’t have to run around.
What could be improved
- The screws – Well we tried mounting this unit to our wall and was not a very smooth experience
- The light did have a slight bluish tint for the initial few minutes after a cold start.
- A little longer wire would have made the installation easier.